- The 2014 WWE Battleground Kickoff pre-show begins with host Renee Young welcoming us as fans pile into the Tampa Bay Times Forum. She is live from the arena and is joined by Booker T, Alex Riley and Christian. We see Jerry Lawler, JBL and Michael Cole making their way out to ringside. Renee plugs Cameron vs. Naomi on tonight’s pre-show. Booker says what he really wants to see is tonight’s Fatal 4 Way main event and they discuss that match next. Riley points out John Cena has a 75% chance of losing the title. We go to the announcers for our first match. JBL predicts Randy Orton will win the main event, Jerry Lawler goes with John Cena and Cole agrees.
Fandango vs. Adam Rose
We go to the ring and out comes Fandango by himself. This match is presented by Mountain Dew Kickstart. Out next comes Adam Rose, Layla, Summer Rae and the Rosebuds.
Cole informs us Rose is celebrating a birthday today. Fandango strikes first and beats Rose down in the corner. Fandango with a 2 count. Summer and Layla lead a parade of Rosebuds around the ring as they hum Rose’s theme song. Fandango confronts them and Layla smacks him. Summer smacks him next. Rose brings Fandango back in the ring and runs over him. Rose with a big spinebuster and a right hand in the corner. Rose nails the Party Foul for the quick win.
Winner: Adam Rose
– After the match, Rose dances away with the Rosebuds, Summer and Layla. They each give him a kiss on the cheek as we go to replays. They party some more as Fandango looks on from the ring. We go to promos.
– We come back and the panel discussing Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose. Christian praises Rollins and says he really is money in the bank. We get a promo for Bray Wyatt vs. Chris Jericho next. Tom Phillips is backstage with The Usos. He asks them about their match versus The Wyatt Family tonight. They say the 2 of 3 Falls Match just means they each get a pinfall. They jokingly argue about who’s the better looking brother before heading off.
Naomi vs. Cameron
We go to the ring and out first comes Cameron. We get a look at what led to the Funkadactyls breaking up. Naomi is out next to a nice reaction and she looks ready to fight.
Naomi rushes the ring and they start brawling. Cameron turns it around and sends Naomi flying off the apron to the floor. Cameron shoves her into the apron and brings it back in for a pin attempt. Cameron with a submission now. Naomi takes control and goes to work. Naomi with a Thesz Press and some punches. Naomi stomps and kicks Cameron out of the ring. Cameron walks off but Naomi attacks her and throws her into the barrier. Cameron kicks back and crawls in the ring. Naomi follows with a kick. Cameron kicks her in the face and talks some trash. Naomi grabs her hair but Cameron counters and sends her into the ropes it looks like. Cameron rolls Naomi up for the win.
– After the match, Cameron heads off with a smile on her face and Naomi is claiming Cameron had her tights. We go to replays and she did.
– We go to the panel. Booker predicts Kofi Kingston will win tonight’s Battle Royal. Christian picks Dolph Ziggler and Riley picks Heath Slater to win. Booker says that’s why he’s sitting on the pre-show right now. Riley predicts Roman Reigns will win tonight’s main event. Christian agrees and Booker picks Orton. Renee leads us to a video package for tonight’s main event and that’s it for the pre-show.
– The 2014 WWE Battleground pay-per-view kicks off with a video for tonight’s Fatal 4 Way main event for the WWE World Heavyweight Title. We’re live from Tampa as Cole welcomes us.
2 of 3 Falls Match for the WWE Tag Team Titles: Erick Rowan and Luke Harper vs. The Usos
We go to the ring and out comes WWE Tag Team Champions The Usos to a big pop. The Wyatt Family graphic flashes and out comes Erick Rowan and Luke Harper.
Jey decks Rowan to start the match. Rowan gets upset and comes right back, beating Jey into the corner. Fans chant for The Usos as Harper tags in for some double teaming. Usos ducks clotheslines and dropkicks Harper out of the ring. Rowan gets knocked out next. Harper comes in and takes Jey to the corner. Harper with a big chop to the gut and rake to the eyes. Uso comes back but gets thrown under the bottom rope and to the floor.
Rowan comes in and takes control. Rowan with a big slam and a 2 count. Uso tries to fight back but Rowan drops him with an elbow for another 2 count. Harper tags back in and Rowan holds Uso so Harper can drop a knee to the face. Harper with a 2 count and the gator roll. Jey finally backdrops Harper and makes the tag. Jimmy goes to the top but lands on his feet. Harper runs over him with a big boot for a 3 count.
First Fall: The Wyatt Family
Harper goes to work on Jimmy and gets another 2 count. Rowan comes in and they don’t let up on Uso. Rowan nails a big splash for a 2 count. Rowan keeps Uso grounded as fans chant. Uso fights free and fires away on Rowan. Uso goes for a slam but Rowan falls on top of him for a 2 count. Harper comes back in and keeps up the attack. Uso fights back and they eventually get the tag and a quick roll-up for the pin.
Second Fall: The Usos
Rowan snaps and the referee has to back him off. Rowan with a big slam for a 2 count. Rowan drops a knee. Harper comes back in and keeps control. Harper beats Uso down in the corner and puts a boot to him. Rowan tags back in for more offense in the corner. Harper comes in but ends up getting sent to the floor after he got caught up on the top rope. Jey finally tags in Jimmy to a big pop. He runs the ropes and leaps out onto Harper. Rowan comes in but he gets sent over the top. Uso runs the ropes and leaps out onto him next. Jimmy runs the barrier and splashes onto Harper again. They bring it back in and Jimmy goes to the top. He nails a crossbody for a 2 count.
They trade shots and Uso nails an enziguri. Uso with the big rear splash in the corner. Harper gets right up and splashes Uso in the opposite corner. Uso counters a sitdown powerbomb and nails a corkscrew from the top for a 2 count. Harper catches a superkick and nails a big boot, sending Jimmy back out of the ring. Harper plays to the crowd before leaping out onto Uso with a big dive. Harper brings it back in the ring as fans chant “this is awesome.” We see Uso taking out Rowan on the floor. Harper goes to dive out on him but runs into a superkick. Jimmy rolls him up for 2. Harper nails the sitdown powerbomb for a very close 2 count.
Rowan tags in and goes to the top but misses a big splash. Harper goes to the other corner but gets crotched. Jey tags in and nails a big splash on Rowan for another very close 2 count. Uso goes up for another splash but Harper distracts him. Rowan gets up and they trade shots. Rowan climbs up but Uso keeps hitting him. Jimmy tags and Rowan takes control of both them on the corner. Rowan nails a huge double superplex on both Usos. Rowan covers for a 2 count. Harper tags in for a double team move but Jey breaks it up. Harper blocks a roll-up and nails a superkick. Harper goes for the big clothesline but gets kicked in the mouth. Harper nails a clothesline anyway for a close 2 count as Jey breaks the pin. Harper dumps Uso out to the floor. Jimmy ducks a clothesline and nails a superkick. Jey tags in for some double teaming. Rowan gets knocked off the apron. Jimmy tags in as fans boo. They both go to the top for a double splash and nail it on Harper for the win.
Winners: The Usos
– After the match, The Usos are slow to get up but pose with the titles as we go to replays. We come back to The Usos celebrating with their titles.
– We get a promo for Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose, which is next. Tom Phillips is backstage with Rollins. Rollins says he’s going to give Ambrose everything he bargained for. Rollins says when he puts Ambrose out of his own misery, his eyes will be glued to the Fatal 4 Way main event. Rollins holds up his briefcase and says we may be looking at the next WWE… Dean Ambrose attacks him out of nowhere and they start brawling all over the back. Agents and officials try to separate them. Triple H yells at Ambrose and tells them to get him out of the building.
– We go to the announcers and apparently the match is off. Triple H has kicked Ambrose out of the building. Cole sends us to the ring.
WWE Divas Title Match: Paige vs. AJ Lee
Paige makes her way out as we see what led to this match. WWE Divas Champion AJ Lee is out next to a pop.
They shake hands and go at it. They go back and forth and lock up again. AJ with a quick pin attempt. Paige comes back with a pin attempt of her own. Paige takes AJ to the corner and dominates her before going for another pin attempt. Paige with more offense and another 2 count. Paige keeps her grounded with a headlock now. Paige slams her to the mat and goes back to the headlock. Paige with a knee to the back now.
AJ fights free but gets clotheslined for another 2 count. Paige scoops AJ but AJ counters and nails a DDT. They get up and Paige botches a tackle out of the ring. They end up on the floor and Paige tosses her into the barrier. Paige goes to the top but AJ climbs up. Paige counters and powerbombs her from the top for a 2 count. AJ kicks Paige off. Paige charges and runs into boots. AJ comes off the corner but Paige catches her. AJ turns that into the Black Widow. Paige finally counters and breaks it. Paige nails the Paige Turner for a close 2 count.
Paige applies the PTO but AJ counters into a pin. Paige turns that into a pin. AJ nails a Shining Wizard for the win.
Winner: AJ Lee
– After the match, AJ raises her title as Paige tries to recover and we go to replays. Paige heads to the back as AJ celebrates in the ring. AJ skips to the back.
– We get a SummerSlam promo and the announcers plug the event.
– They air a video to hype tonight’s main event. Randy Orton walks up on Kane backstage. Orton apologizes for what happened on RAW but Kane says the devil doesn’t apologize. Orton says they need to ensure Roman Reigns or John Cena don’t leave with the titles tonight. Kane promises the winner of the match is standing right here and walks off.
– We go back to the panel. They give their predictions for tonight’s main event again. Renee leads us to a replay from the détente with Rusev, Lana, Jack Swagger and Zeb Colter on RAW.
Rusev vs. Jack Swagger
We go to the ring and out comes Lana and Rusev. Lana takes the mic and a big USA chant starts. Rusev rants and Lana tells the fans to shut up. She says Americans should be insulted and afraid. We should be ashamed. She says we are leaderless and says they call our President a wuss. She says unlike their leader, Vladimir Putin. We see his face on the big screen. Lana says Putin is a man that takes responsibility and stands up for what he believes in and isn’t afraid to speak the truth. A “Putin sucks” chant tries to start up. Lana says Putin will crush us all and Rusev will crush Jack Swagger. The music hits and Swagger makes his way out with Zeb Colter to a big pop. Swagger is waving an American flag.
Zeb says we’ve heard of Natasha and she slaps him. Rusev attacks Swagger and they go at it. Swagger gets the upperhand and sends Rusev over the top rope. We finally get the bell and Swagger stops Rusev from rushing in. Rusev goes back to the floor as fans continue to chant USA. Rusev comes in and kicks Swagger, going to work on him. Rusev takes Swagger to the corner but he fights out. Rusev misses a charge in the corner. Swagger goes for the Patriot Lock again but Rusev goes back to the floor.
Swagger brings it back in and works Rusev over in the corner. Rusev fires right back and runs over Swagger. Rusev with a big overhead throw. Rusev keeps Swagger grounded and continues to work him over now. Swagger breaks free but Rusev works him over with kicks in the corner. Rusev with a big kick to the head to knock Swagger down. Cole informs us that Dean Ambrose will not be returning tonight. Swagger blocks a kick and fights back. Rusev backdrops him over the top and Swagger lands hard on the floor.
Rusev keeps Swagger off the apron. Zeb gives Swagger a pep talk and he runs back in. Swagger makes a comeback and hits a big knee in the corner. Swagger with a big boot. Swagger nails a Swagger Bomb for a 2 count. Rusev fights back with big shots to the head. Swagger counters a move and slams Rusev for a 2 count. More back and forth. Rusev nails a big kick to the face. Swagger manages to get the Patriot Lock applied. Rusev reaches for the bottom rope but Swagger pulls him back. Rusev crawls back to the bottom rope and breaks the hold. Rusev falls out to the floor.
Swagger attacks on the floor and applies the Patriot Lock. Rusev counters and pulls Swagger head first into the ring post. Rusev makes it back in at the 9 count and Swagger gets counted out.
Winner by Count Out: Rusev
– After the match, Lana comes in the ring to pose with Rusev as the Russian flag drops down. Officials check on Swagger outside of the ring as Rusev celebrates and we go to replays. Lana tells Rusev to crush and he goes to the floor. Rusev lifts Swagger and rolls him in the ring. Rusev stomps on Swagger’s back and applies The Accolade. Referees come in to break it as Zeb looks on. Rusev keeps it locked until Lana tells him to break it. Rusev yells some more and limps to the back.
– We get another bizarre backstage promo from Goldust and Stardust.
Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose
We go tot he ring and out comes Seth Rollins with his Money In the Bank briefcase. A big “you sold out” chant starts up. Rollins says since his opponent has irresponsibly been ejected from the building, he’s come out to accept his victory via forfeit. Rollins wants to be announced as the winner and wants his hand raised. Justin Roberts announces Rollins the winner by forfeit and the referee raises his hand. Rollins hits the turnbuckles to celebrate as his music plays.
Winner by Forfeit: Seth Rollins
– As Rollins is making his exit, Ambrose attacks him at the entrance. Ambrose brawls Rollins into the crowd and towards the production area. Rollins turns it around and tosses Ambrose back over the barrier. Ambrose grabs Rollins off the barrier and tosses him onto the Spanish announce table. Security and officials come down to drag Ambrose off Rollins. Ambrose gets free and runs back, leaping off the announce tables and landing on Rollins. Ambrose unloads again until they’re broken up. Triple H comes out now. Triple H shoves Ambrose around as security holds him. Triple H wants him out of the building. Ambrose isn’t making it easy so they grab his legs and carry him out. Rollins runs over and leaps on Ambrose while they’re carrying him. They’re separated again and Ambrose is carried away. Rollins runs up for more and they’re broke up again. Fans boo as Triple H brings Rollins back to the entrance and raises his arm. They leave together.
Bray Wyatt vs. Chris Jericho
Bray Wyatt makes his way out after a promo video for this next match. The arena lights up as Wyatt makes his way out. The lights hit and Wyatt is sporting his black eye still. Erick Rowan and Luke Harper are also out. Fans chant for Chris Jericho before he makes his entrance. Jericho gets the big pyro and comes out to a pop.
They finally lock up and Bray takes it to the corner. They tangle into the other corner and the referee breaks them up. Wyatt works Jericho over with punches and headbutts now. Jericho fights back out of the corner. Jericho nails chops but Wyatt just stares at him. Jericho slaps Wyatt and Wyatt unloads on him. Jericho comes back with a high elbow. Jericho counters again and hits chops in the corner. Wyatt gets whipped into the corner but comes right out of it with a huge clothesline. Wyatt yells that this is his house. Wyatt with a high elbow and a 2 count.
Jericho turns it around and goes for the Walls of Jericho. Rowan and Harper get on opposite sides of the apron and cause a distraction, allowing Wyatt to block the Walls and take back control. Wyatt works Jericho over and keeps him grounded now. Jericho fights to his feet and nails a dropkick. Wyatt goes to the apron and Jericho knocks him off with a springboard kick. Jericho goes to the top and splashes out onto The Wyatt Family. Jericho slaps hands with some fans and kicks Wyatt in the gut. Jericho brings Wyatt back in. Harper grabs Jericho on the apron but gets caught. The referee orders Rowan and Harper to the back.
Bray charges and knocks Jericho off the apron, sending him flying into a cameraman. Wyatt comes to the floor and stomps away on Jericho. Wyatt rolls him back in for a 2 count. More offense from Wyatt now. Wyatt charges in the corner but goes shoulder first into the ring post. Jericho makes a comeback now. Jericho goes to the top and nails a big right hand as fans pop. Wyatt ducks and slams Jericho on his face twice for a 2 count. Jericho fights back with chops. Wyatt runs over him with a clothesline. Jericho gets his knees up for the back splash from Wyatt. Jericho nails an enziguri. Jericho with a 2 count. Jericho keeps control and goes to the top but Wyatt cuts him off. Wyatt climbs up but Jericho fights him off. Wyatt fires back and goes for a superplex but Jericho knocks him to the mat. Wyatt runs right back and nails a nasty jawbreaker from the top for a close 2 count.
More back and forth. Jericho nails a bulldog. Jericho goes for a Lionsault but Wyatt gets his knees up. Bray does his spider walk. Jericho gets up and Wyatt slams him for a 2 count. Wyatt laughs and asks Jericho how much can he take. Wyatt with more offense in the corner. He nails the running splash and Jericho drops. Wyatt tells Jericho this is goodbye and goes for another splash but Jericho turns it around. Jericho with another move and the back of Wyatt’s head hits the turnbuckle. Jericho with a 2 count. They fight on the apron now. Wyatt drops Jericho face first and rolls him over for a 2 count. Wyatt turns upside down in the corner and goes for Sister Abigail but Jericho rolls him and goes for the Walls again. Wyatt fights him and they trade punches. Wyatt kicks Jericho off and they run the ropes. Wyatt with the big forearm and a 2 count. Jericho nails a Codebreaker out of nowhere for the win.
Winner: Chris Jericho
– After the match, Jericho goes to the floor to pose on top of the barrier. Jericho gives high-fives to his father and son at ringside before heading to the back.
– We see Seth Rollins leaving the arena with security on each side of him. Rollins makes it to the parking lot and tells them to go away, he doesn’t need them. He stops in the parking lot and looks around paranoid. Ambrose appears in the background and comes from the trunk of a car. Ambrose swings something but Rollins ducks. They start brawling and Ambrose works him over. Rollins gets in a car and speeds off. Ambrose fumes as we go to promos.
Battle Royal for the Vacant WWE Intercontinental Title: Big E, Alberto Del Rio, Cesaro, R-Truth, Ryback, Curtis Axel, Zack Ryder, Titus O’Neil, Damien Sandow, Heath Slater, Diego, Sin Cara, Xavier Woods, The Great Khali, Kofi Kingston, Bo Dallas, Dolph Ziggler, The Miz, Sheamus
We go to the ring and out first comes Big E. Out next is Alberto Del Rio, Cesaro by himself, R-Truth, Ryback, Curtis Axel to almost no reaction, Zack Ryder, Titus O’Neil, Damien Sandow who was added back to the match and is dressed as a beach bum, Heath Slater, Diego by himself, Sin Cara, Xavier Woods with what sounds like a new theme, The Great Khali, Kofi Kingston, Bo Dallas, Dolph Ziggler to a big pop, The Miz and WWE United States Champion Sheamus. The music hits and out comes Bad News Barrett to the entrance. He says whoever wins the battle royal receives the huge honor of becoming the new Intercontinental Champion but he’s afraid he’s got some bad news. Barrett says becoming the new champion will be like an old couple living in Florida. Initially they will love every second of it but it’s just delaying the inevitable. Barrett says the champion’s demise will come in the form of a Bullhammer. The bell rings and here we go.
Everyone goes after Khali but he fights them off. Khali starts throwing chops and eliminates Xavier Woods. Zack Ryder is eliminated next by Khali. Titus attacks Khali. Sheamus nails a Brogue Kick on Khali and everyone eliminates him. Cesaro works on Ziggler while Kofi works on Ryback. Bo works on Cara and eliminates him. Cesaro goes after Bo while he celebrates.
R-Truth and Axel get eliminated next. Sheamus and Del Rio go at it while Sandow works on Diego. Sandow is eliminated. Ryback eliminates Diego. Cesaro decks Kofi. Ryback decks Cesaro. Big E and Sheamus go at it. Bo and Ryback stomp on Kofi. Ryback slams Del Rio. Sheamus and Ryback are the only ones standing. They come face to face in the middle of the ring. Sheamus fires away and nails a kick to the face. Ryback catches him but Sheamus slides out. Sheamus eliminates Ryback with a Brogue Kick. Miz comes from behind and tries to dump Sheamus but he hangs on.
Miz goes to the floor but goes under the bottom rope so he’s not eliminated. Titus catches Sheamus with a pair of backbreakers and a big toss. Bo comes from behind and eliminates Titus while he’s barking. Cesaro runs over Bo and stomps. Cesaro with a big uppercut on Kofi. Kofi dumps Cesaro the apron but he hangs on. Kofi misses Trouble In Paradise. Kofi does some crazy hanging on to Cesaro’s body and makes it back in the ring. Cesaro holds Kofi’s hair and fights back in the ring but Kofi dropkicks him. Del Rio with a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker on Ziggler. Ziggler dropkicks Del Rio. Del Rio gets eliminated. Miz gets sent back out but goes through the second rope so he’s still in it. Big E presses Cesaro high but Cesaro slides out. Cesaro does a belly to belly, sending Big E over. Big E is eliminated. Kofi charges but Cesaro sends him to the apron. Kofi dodges a big right hand by jumping on Big E’s shoulders. Big E brings Kofi back to the apron and he fights with Cesaro from Big E’s shoulders. Cesaro lifts him off Big E’s shoulders but Kofi lands in the ring. Awesome spot. Cesaro drops Kofi but they trade shots now. Cesaro sits Kofi on the top rope. Kofi barely hangs on. Cesaro suplexes him over the top rope and he’s finally eliminated.
Slater runs right over and eliminates Cesaro. Sheamus eliminates Slater. Bo tries to get Sheamus from behind but can’t. Sheamus with the forearms to the chest on the apron to Bo. Dolph runs over and eliminates Bo. Lots of brawling back and forth between Sheamus and Ziggler now. Ziggler fights out of a powerbomb and botches a roll-up, hurting both men it looks like. Ziggler ducks a Brogue Kick. Sheamus comes back and almost eliminates Ziggler but he holds on. Ziggler finally eliminates Sheamus. The Miz had been hiding outside of the ring and runs in from behind to eliminate Ziggler and get the win.
Winner and New WWE Intercontinental Champion: The Miz
– The announcers plug the WWE Network. We get promos for SummerSlam and tomorrow’s RAW from Miami.
– We get a promo for tonight’s main event.
Fatal 4 Way for the WWE World Heavyweight Title: Kane vs. Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton vs. John Cena
We go to the ring and out first comes Randy Orton. Kane is out next followed by Roman Reigns to a big pop. Reigns makes his way through the crowd. WWE World Heavyweight Champion John Cena is out next to a mixed reaction.
Roberts does formal ring introductions for each Superstar and Reigns get the biggest pop. Cena gets a mixed reaction as usual. Orton and Kane look to be teaming up. The bell rings. Kane and Reigns go at it while Cena and Orton do. Cena tosses Orton to the floor and they go at it. Orton whips Cena into the steel steps. Reigns mounts Kane in the corner with right hands as fans count along.
Reigns works over Orton in the ring now but turns around to a big shot from Kane. Kane and Orton double teamReigns now. They both hit big clotheslines in the corner. Cena comes back to the apron but Kane knocks him off and into the barrier. Reigns gets a boot up. Reigns goes up and leaps down with a double clothesline. They turn it back around and hit a double suplex on Reigns. Orton goes for a pin attempt and Kane goes to the ropes to make sure Cena doesn’t come in. Cena runs in now and suplexes Orton for a 2 count as Kane breaks it. Kane and Orton double team Cena now. Kane goes to the floor and runs Reigns into the ring post. Cena counters and nails a bulldog on Orton. Kane comes in and hits a sideslam on Cena, allowing Orton to cover for a 2 count as Kane stands guard again.
We get dueling chant for Cena. Cena works over Orton but Kane comes back in the ring to make the save. They double team Cena some more now. Fans chant for Reigns, who is down on the outside. Kane drops Cena again and Orton covers for the 2 count. More double teaming on Cena. Reign gets on the apron but Kane knocks him off. Kane goes to the floor but Reigns counters and sends him into the ring post. Cena makes a comeback on Orton in the ring. Cena hits his usual moves and the Five Knuckle Shuffle. Cena goes for the Attitude Adjustment but Orton grabs the top rope. Orton gets dumped on the outside. Reigns and Cena come face to face in the ring but Orton and Kane attack them before they can go at it. Reigns and Kane go at it. Kane nails a big DDT and covers Reigns for 2. Orton comes in and yells at Kane for going for the pin.
Kane and Orton have words. They shove each other and Kane rocks him. Kane takes Orton to the corner with more shots. Kane takes Orton to the top for a superplex but Cena and Reigns stop them. Cena and Reigns powerbomb Kane to the mat, bringing Orton with them. Orton lands hard. Cena and Reigns face off again but go to work on Kane when he sits up. Orton with a backbreaker on Reigns. Orton takes Cena to the second rope for the draping DDT and grabs Reign also. Orton nails a double second rope draping DDT. Orton covers Reigns for a 2 count as Kane breaks the pin and hits Orton. Kane with right hands on Orton now. Kane nails a big boot and covers Orton for a close 2 count as Reigns breaks the hold. Reigns with a big Samoan Drop on Kane for a 2 count that Orton breaks up. Orton works Reigns over now. Orton applies a half crab to Reigns. Reigns powers out and applies one of his own.
Cena comes in and nails an AA on Kane but Kane rolls to the floor. Cena takes Orton down and applies the STF. Orton crawls for the bottom rope but Cena pulls him back to the middle of the ring. Reigns pulls Orton out of the ring, breaking the hold and saving the match. Cena looks shocked. Reigns tosses Orton over the announce table. Reigns comes back in the ring for another face off with Cena. They have words. Cena strikes first and they trade shots in the middle of the ring. Reigns ducks a clothesline and runs over Cena. Reigns with a clothesline in the corner. Cena drops him for a STF but Reigns blocks it. Reigns hits a Samoan Drop. Reigns calls for the Superman punch but Cena counters it and nails a side slam. Cena goes for the Five Knuckle Shuffle but Reigns jumps up and hits the Superman punch to a big pop. Reigns readies for a spear and nails it on Cena but Kane breaks the pin.
Kane and Reigns go at it now. Reigns with a clothesline and another. Reigns with a big right hand but Kane fires right back. Kane takes a Superman punch and goes down. Reigns runs around the ring and nails the dropkick on Cena. He runs around again and nails one on Orton at the announce table. Reigns runs around the rest of the ring and dropkicks Kane. Reigns yells and turns around to spear Orton through the barrier. Fans chant “holy shit” as we go to replays of that sequence. Fans chant “this is awesome” as Reigns comes back in with Kane. Reigns goes for a spear but Kane grabs him for a chokeslam. Reigns powers out and nails a spear but Cena breaks the pin right before the 3 count. Cena covers Kane but Reigns breaks it at 2. Cena tosses Reigns out to the floor. Cena nails an AA on Kane but Reigns runs back in and barely saves it. Reigns with a 2 count on Kane as Cena breaks it. Cena and Reigns trade shots now. Cena hits an AA on Reigns but Kane stops the pin.
Kane hits a big chokeslam on Cena and one on Reigns. Kane covers Reigns for a 2 count. Kane calls for a Tombstone and scoops Reign but Reigns slides out. Reigns nails a spear for a 2 count as Orton breaks it up. Orton with a RKO on Reigns. Cena AA’s Orton on top of Kane and covers Kane for the win.
Winner: John Cena
– After the match, Cena celebrates as Reigns recovers on the outside and looks on. Cena poses with his title belts and stares back at Reigns. We go to replays. Cena poses with the titles by the entrance and salutes as Battleground goes off the air.
– The Battleground post-show kicks off with JBL, Cole and Lawler at ringside. We get a look back at tonight’s opener. Renee Young is backstage with The Usos. She congratulates them on their win and asks how they feel. They say they’re turned up. They tell other WWE tag teams to get a number and stand in line because they have celebrating to do. They get Renee to do the U-so chant before leaving. We go back to the announcers at ringside. They show us the end of the main event now.
– Renee is backstage with John Cena. Cena says he just passed The Usos and he gives them props. He talks about the match and says he wasn’t supposed to win. He had two options – show up and fight with a 25% chance or give up with a 0% chance. Cena says he wasn’t supposed to win but can confidently say that after tonight, the champ is still here. Cena walks off. Cole signs off for the night and that’s it for the post-show.
The Hottest WWE news, photos and videos delivered to your inbox in one convenient newsletter. Sign up now and give it a try!