Ratings for this past weekend’s “Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum” event, which continued the organization’s heavyweight grand prix, scored the second biggest ratings in Strikeforce-Showtime history.
Overall, the June 18 event earned a 1.7 household rating, an average audience of 624,000 viewers, and a peak audience of 719,000 viewers.
The event, which took place at Dallas’ American Airlines Center with an Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum headliner, trailed only a February “Strikeforce: Silva vs. Fedor” event, which scored a record 741,000 viewers.
In addition to Overeem, Josh Barnett advanced in the tournament by submitting Brett Rogers this past weekend. They now join Antonio Silva and Sergei Kharitonov, who won back in February, in the tournament’s semifinals this fall.
Four of the top-five Strikeforce-Showtime ratings figures now have been registered in 2011.
The five top-rated Strikeforce-Showtime shows include:
– “Strikeforce: Silva vs. Fedor” (February 2011): 741,000 viewers
– “Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum” (June 2011): 624,000
– “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” (August 2009): 576,000
– “Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg” (January 2011): 561,000
– “Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley” (April 2011): 528,000
Strikeforce first began airing on Showtime, a premium-cable station with approximately 18 million subscribers, in April 2009.