The April 16th, 2019 edition of WWE SmackDown Live took place at the Bell Centre in Montreal, QC.
– Kevin Owens comes out to the ring to kick off SmackDown with “The Kevin Owens Show,” and he gets a big ovation from his hometown crowd. Owens speaks in French at first, and then talks about the Superstar Shakeup in English. Owens then introduces his guest for The Kevin Owens Show — WWE Champion Kofi Kingston. Kofi comes out with Xavier Woods by his side, and we’re told Big E is out with an injury. Owens talks about Kofi’s big win at WrestleMania, and congratulates him. Kofi thanks Owens and says something in French to get a pop from the crowd. Owens points out that Big E is not here tonight, and Woods explains that he got injured last week in their match. Woods talks about his YouTube series and says he wants Tyler Breeze to come to SmackDown in the Superstar Shakeup. Owens says Woods and Kofi might need some more backup tonight since they’re missing Big E. They give Owens the “New Day” name “Big O.” They make Owens practice dancing like Big E, and Owens thrusts his hips at Woods and Kingston. Woods asks the fans what they think and they cheer in approval, so Owens will be rolling with Woods and Kingston tonight. They put a New Day t-shirt and unicorn horn on Owens, and then they dance around the ring.
– Backstage, Cesaro approaches Shinsuke Nakamura and Rusev and offers to team with them against The New Day tonight since they seem outnumbered. Rusev and Nakamura accept.
– Intercontinental Champion Finn Balor comes out to the ring, and it looks like he has been traded to the SmackDown roster.
– The commentary team informs us that Kofi, Xavier and Owens will take on Rusev, Nakamura and Cesaro in a six-man tag tonight.
– Finn Balor vs. Ali: This one is a non-Title match. The opening bell sounds and they trade holds as the opening moments of this one are fairly evenly matched. Ali starts to get the upper hand and he knocks Balor outside and then kicks him off the apron. Ali follows up with a suicide dive on Balor, then he takes him back in the ring for a shoulder hold. Balor breaks free, but then he misses a shot in the corner and Ali kicks him down then hits the X-Factor. Balor finally counters something and fights back, then he hits a double foot stomp. Balor goes up top, but Ali trips him up and they fight on the turnbuckle. Ali hits a Frankensteiner off the top for a two count. Ali looks for a splash off the top but misses, and Balor comes back with the Coup De Grace for the three count.
Winner: Finn Balor
– Ali and Balor shake hands after the match.
– Backstage, Kofi and Xavier tell Owens he has to beat Big E’s pancake eating record as initiation. They present him with a huge tray of pancakes and Owens starts eating. The camera fades to black as Owens is eating.
– We see the cardboard box with smoke coming from it, and the buzzard puppet pops out again.
– We go back to Kofi and Xavier cheering on Owens as he eats pancakes. Owens finishes the plate and Kofi and Xavier celebrate with him.
– Carmella vs. Charlotte: R-Truth is at ringside for this one. Charlotte starts off strong with several kicks on Carmella. The fight spills out to ringside, and Carmella mounts a comeback and hits a splash off the fan barricade down on to Charlotte on the ringside floor. Back in the ring, Charlotte and Carmella trade strikes now. Charlotte starts working over Carmella’s left knee and they fight out to the ringside floor. Charlotte climbs up to the top of the barricade, but Carmella knocks Charlotte down and superkicks her on the floor. Back in the ring, Charlotte takes our Carmella’s knee again and then applies the Figure Eight for the win via submission.
– Charlotte leaves, and then as R-Truth is helping Carmella to her feet in the ring, Lars Sullivan comes out to the ring. Lars gets in the ring and R-Truth gets in his face. Lars and Truth start brawling. Truth hits a leaping forearm shot to the face, but Lars no-sells it. Truth misses a shot and Lars comes back with a big spinebuster. Lars turns his attention to Carmella, but referee Charles Robinson helps Carmella out of the ring. The crowd chants “asshole” at Lars, then Lars powerbombs Truth.
– Still to come: Vince McMahons reveals “the biggest acquisition in SmackDown Live history.”
– RAW & SmackDown Women’s Champion Becky Lynch comes out to the ring and gets on the mic. She talks about having both Women’s Titles, and then Ember Moon quickly comes out to interrupt. Bayley interrupts next and talks about winning the Womens Tag Titles, and how now she wants Becky’s Titles. The Iiconics interrupt next and get in the ring. The Iiconics talk trash to Bayley about taking her Titles, and say they their belts are better than Becky’s belts. Paige comes out to the stage next to interrupt. She says she’ll be managing some gifted women on SmackDown, and then Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville comes out to interrupt. Mandy and Sonya walk to the ring and say SmackDown has waited long enough for the reunion of Absolution. Paige interrupts and says she’s not here to represent them, she’s here to represent two revolutionary women: Asuka and Kairi Sane. Kairi and Asuka run to the ring, and all of the women except Becky start brawling.
– Kairi Sane, Asuka, Bayley & Ember Moon vs. The Iiconics, Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville: Paige is at ringside for this one. Asuka takes control of things her for team, then Kairi tags in for the double team on Mandy. Sonya runs in but Bayley takes her out. Bayley then hits a suicide dive on both Rose and Deville at ringside. The Iiconics help up their partners at ringside, then Ember Moon goes flying off the top rope down on to all of them at ringside. Back in the ring, Sonya and Bayley go at it, then Mandy tags in for the double team on Bayley. Peyton tags in to continue the offense on Bayley. Peyton misses a kick, and Bayley is able to tag in Asuka. Asuka cleans house and hits the running hip attack on Peyton. Asuka follows up with a superkick and a German suplex. Asuka hits another kick to the fce and pins, but Mandy breaks it up. Ember comes in and takes out Mandy, then Sonya takes out Ember, then Bayley takes out Sonya, then Billie takes out Bayley, then Kairi takes out Billie, and Peyton takes out Kairi. Asuka is still the legal woman and she hits a reverse DDT on Peyton. Kairi tags in and hits the flying elbow off the top for the three count.
Winners: Asuka, Kairi Sane, Bayley and Ember Moon
– Paige celebrates with the winners after the match.
– We see a pre-taped promo from SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Hardy Boyz in their locker room.
– Kofi, Woods and Big E are warming up at the gorilla position. They have Owens rehearsing Big E’s part of their entrance.
– We see a pre-taped promo from Buddy Murphy talking about destroying all of his competition on 205 Live. He announces that he’s coming to SmackDown Live.
– Xavier Woods, Kofi Kingston & Kevin Owens vs. Rusev, Nakamura & Cesaro: Lana is at ringside. Rusev and Woods start this one off. Rusev misses a shot, and then Kofi tags in for the double team on Rusev. Rusev fights back with punches, then Nakamura tags in and beats on Kofi in the corner. Kofi reverses a shot and stomps on Nakamura in the corner. Woods and Kofi trade tags for the “unicorn stampede” on Nakamura, then Owens tags in and gets in on it. Woods tags in for another double team on Nakamura. Nakamura fights back with kicks to the head of Woods, then Cesaro comes in to continue the offense. Woods finally fights back, but then Nakamura kicks him down and Rusev tags in to continue the offense on Woods. Lana hits a cheap shot on Woods behind the ref’s back. Nakamura tags back in and fights in the corner with Woods. Woods knocks Nakamura down and then follows up with a missile dropkick. Kofi and Cesaro get the tags, and Kofi comes flying in off the top with a shot on Cesaro. Kofi knocks Rusev off the apron, then takes out Cesaro with a flying clothesline. Kofi follows up with the Boom Drop, then he knocks Rusev off the apron again. Kofi hits he SOS on Cesaro for a two count. Cesaro fights back and swings Kofi, then applies the Sharpshooter. Owens breaks up the hold, then Nakamura takes out Owens. Woods takes out Nakamura, then Rusev takes out Woods. Rusev misses a shot on Kofi, and Owens tags in. Owens throws Rusev out to ringside, then Owens helps launch Kofi for a suicide dive on Rusev and Nakamura at ringside. Back in the ring, Kofi hits the Trouble In Paradise on Rusev, then Owens hits the Stone Cold Stunner on Rusev for the three count.
Winners: Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods and Kevin Owens
– Vince McMahon is shown bacsktage watching the New Day’s victory celebration on a monitor. Vince is scheduled to come out next to announce SmackDown’s new acquisition.
– We see the same video package from RAW of the children’s toys in front of a black background with smoke. We then see the puppet in the rocking chair and it laughs.
– Mr. McMahon comes out to the ring next and gets on the mic. Vince says it’s so nice to be back in Montreal. Vince says it’s rare he ever puts a seal of approval on any Superstar, but he’s about to, because he’s the future of the entire WWE. Vince says he’s tough, talented, and exudes charisma. Vince introduces Elias, and Elias walks out with his guitar. Elias steps in the ring and shakes hands with Vince. Elias cuts a brief promo complaining about some of Vince’s previous decisions, but after what Vince just said and did, he knows Vince has his finger on the pulse of what the audience wants. Elias says there’s no better way to kick off the new era of SmackDown than walking with Elias. Elias trashes the Montreal fans, and says that now that AJ Styles is gone from SmackDown, SmackDown is the temple of Elias. Elias tries to start his song, but then Roman Reigns comes out to interrupt. Reigns comes down to the ring, and we see Vince standing behind Elias with a smile on his face. Reigns drops Elias with a Superman Punch. Vince gets in Reigns’ face and seems to be telling Reigns to leave. Reigns hits a Superman Punch on Vince, and Elias catches Vince as he falls. Reigns says he doesn’t care what Vince or Elias says, SmackDown Live is Reigns’ yard now. Reigns leaves the ring as Elias tries to help Mr. McMahon. Reigns turns back around on the ramp and hits the ring again, and he hits a spear on Elias. Reigns poses then heads up the ramp as SmackDown goes off the air.