The August 7th, 2018 edition of WWE SmackDown Live took place at the Amway Center in Orlando, FL.
– Randy Orton comes down to the ring first to kick off this week’s broadcast. Orton steps in the ring and gets on the mic. He talks about Jeff Hardy calling him out last week, and then shows us footage of him beating up Hardy. Orton says he’s going to destroy the fan’s favorite wrestlers in a more violent fashion than every before. Orton says it will be so violent you’ll want to change the channel. Orton says last week he erased “The Enigma” Hardy, and he’s going to take out every other wrestler the fans respect. Orton says he doesn’t get enough respect from the fans or the people in the back. Orton runs down his accomplishments, and blames the fans for his violent acts. He says the most violent letters in the business are RKO, and he walks off.
– The Bar is shown backstage watching Orton on a monitor.
– Becky Lynch is backstage talking to Charlotte. They discuss how they’re both going after the same thing: the Women’s Championship. Charlotte and Becky say they are good together for their tag match tonight, unlike Bayley and Sasha Banks over on RAW.
– Carmella comes out to the stage to do commentary for this next match.
– Charlotte & Becky Lynch vs. The Iiconics: The Iiconics cut a brief promo before the match trashing Orlando, Charlotte and Becky. The opening bell sounds and Charlotte and Becky dump both Iiconics outside early on, and Charlotte hits a suicide dive on them. Back in the ring, Becky hits a t-bone suplex and a flying forearm off the top on Peyton for a two count. Becky looks for the Disarm-her, but Billie breaks it up. Charlotte tags in and hits a moonsault off the top on both Iiconics. Charlotte puts Peyton in the Figure Eight and Peyton taps out.
Winners: Charlotte & Becky Lynch
– After the match, Carmella talks trash to Becky and Charlotte from the announce table.
– The New Day is backstage for an interview with Renee Young. Kofi puts on a sport coat and a wig and acts like an interviewer, asking Big E and Xavier about their plans for The Bludgeon Brothers at SummerSlam.
– We see a pre-taped video of The Miz with his private security. The Miz talks about wanting Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam.
– AJ Styles is shown backstage getting ready to come out to the ring.
– Charlotte and Becky are backstage talking about their win tonight. Becky says tonight was great, but SummerSlam will be another story. Charlotte says they’ll have to be great against each other when the time comes.
– We go to a video package looking at Samoa Joe attacking AJ and then calling him out for putting WWE over his family.
– WWE Champion AJ Styles comes down to the ring and gets on the mic. AJ says a lot of trash talking and testing goes on in the ring, and sometimes it gets personal, like when Joe talked about his family last week. AJ says he wants to be the greatest WWE superstar for his family, not in spite of them. AJ says he’s been with his wife for 18 years, but she’s basically a single parent now because AJ can’t always be there. Samoa Joe is shown backstage watching — with what looks like a black eye, presumably from a house show over the weekend. AJ says Joe knows his wife and kids, and they shared crappy hotels and stale food together before they got successful, and Joe threw away their whole relationship by saying what he did last week. AJ says he’s not going to let Joe get his hands on the WWE Title, and at SummerSlam Joe will be lucky to walk out at all. Joe is shown backstage laughing.
– Still to come: The New Day vs. The Bar
– Lana is shown backstage warming up. Rusev approaches and says she has his support, and it will be a happy Lana day. Aiden English approaches and says he didn’t mean to cause her the match last week. He says he knows he had a bad couple weeks, but he’s here to say he’s sorry. Rusev says they forgive Aiden, but maybe it’s better for him to stay backstage tonight. Rusev and Lana walk off while Aiden looks disappointed.
– Lana vs. Zelina Vega: Rusev and Andrade Almas are both at ringside for this one. Lana starts off strong and backs Zelina into the corner. Zelina fights back with strikes and keeps Lana grounded with a rear chin lock. Zelina misses a kick, and Lana fires back with a knee and a vertical suplex for a two count. Lana hits some elbow drops then works over Zelina in the corner. Lana hits a running facebuster for a two count. Lana hits two vertical suplexes, then Almas causes a distraction from the apron and Zelina drops Lana. Rusev goes after Almas now and whips him into the fan barricade. Zelina kicks Rusev in the head from the apron and Almas drops Rusev from behind. Meanwhile in the ring, Lana hits a big boot on Zelina. Lana goes up top while Rusev and Almas still brawl. Aiden English runs down and spears Almas, but he bumps into Lana in the process and Lana goes down. Zelina takes advantage and pins Lana for the win.
Winner: Zelina Vega
– Rusev helps Lana up and they don’t look happy about the finish.
– Shinsuke Nakamura does an interview with Renee Young backstage about his scheduled match with Jeff Hardy at SummerSlam. R-Truth and Tye Dillinger interrupt, and Truth says he wants to face Nakamura for his U.S. Title. Nakamura asks how he’s going to get a match with him, and Truth thinks that if he pins Carmella he’ll get a U.S. Title shot. Nakamura says something in Japanese and Truth acts offended while Tye looks concerned.
– Byron Saxton steps in the ring and interviews The Miz on the big screen via satellite. The Miz calls Byron a bad announcer, and he promotes his new USA Network reality show. Miz says he’s going to finish Bryan at SummerSlam, because he’s sick of sharing the spotlight with him and dealing with him. The Miz says while Bryan was at home crying and out of action, The Miz was here day after day working. Bryan then runs in and attacks Miz from behind out of nowhere. Bryan beats down Miz, but Bryan gets distracted by Miz’s security and Miz smashes a vase over the back of his head. The Miz and his security hobble off as Bryan recovers on the floor.
– R-Truth vs. Shinsuke Nakamura: This one is a non-Title match. Nakamura starts off with a kick to the midsection and some right hands. Nakamura stomps on Truth in the corner, but Truth comes back with a roll-up attempt for a one count, then he mocks Nakamura. They run the ropes and Truth hits a Frankensteiner and then a spinning heel kick. Truth hits a hip toss and then wastes some time playing to the crowd. Truth misses a scissor kick and Nakamura answers with a kick of his own. Truth misses a shot and Nakamura goes for a triangle choke. Truth reaches the ropes to break the hold and the ref breaks it up. Nakamura follows up with kicks and knee drops on Truth while he’s down. Nakamura hits a reverse suplex and then the Kinshasa for the three count.
Winner: Shinsuke Nakamura
– We see a brief pre-taped promo from The Bludgeon Brothers about being ready to take on any challenger at SummerSlam.
– The Bludgeon Brothers vs. Enhancement talent: Harper and Rowan are up against three unnnamed jobbers in this one. Harper and Rowan make quick work of them, knocking them all outside. They hit the powerbomb/Dofor a breathe, aomsday device on one of the jobbers for the three count after a short squash match.
Winners: The Bludgeon Brothers
– The broadcast team runs down the card for the upcoming SummerSlam pay-per-view.
– The New Day vs. The Bar: The winner of this match will go on to face The Bludgeon Brothers at SummerSlam. Cesaro and Big E starts this one off, and Big E drops him with an elbow to the face. Kofi tags in and puts the boots to Cesaro. Sheamus tags in and Kofi lays into him with strikes, but Sheamus stops him with a big shot that sends Kofi falling down to ringside. Sheamus follows and hits a big uppercut on the floor. Back in the ring, Cesaro continues the offense on Kofi and tries to keep him grounded. Sheamus tags back in and they double team Kofi. Big E finally gets the hot tag and cleans house. Big E hits a suplex on Sheamus for a two count. Cesaro and Kofi tag back in and Kofi hits the SOS for a two count. Big E tags in and looks for a splash on Cesaro but misses. The fight spills out to ringside where Kofi looks for a splash on Sheamus, but Sheamus catches him and hits a rolling senton on the floor. Sheamus tags in and he works over Big E in the corner. Cesaro tags back in for the double team on Big E. Sheamus and Cesaro continue to trade frequent tags to control the match. Cesaro superplexes Big E off the top, and Sheamus immedaitely follows up with a flying knee drop off the top for a two count. Sheamus looks for a Texas Cloverleaf, but Big E kicks him away. Kofi and Cesaro get the tags, and Kofi hits a big springboard clothesline on Cesaro. Kofi cleans house and hits the Boom Drop on Cesaro. The Bar rolls outside for a breather, and Kofi hits a suicide dive on both of them. Back in the ring, Sheamus comes back with a backbreaker for a two count. Sheamus looks for the big boot, but Kofi ducks. Cesaro tags in but Kofi knocks him outside and then kicks down Sheamus. Big E tags in and picks up Sheamus, but then Cesaro runs in and knocks down Kofi and Big E. The Bar hits a double team White Noise on Big E, but Kofi breaks up the pin. Sheamus drops Kofi at ringside while Cesaro and Big E fight in the ring. Cesaro swings Big E and locks in the Sharpshooter. Big E fights out and holds up Cesaro while Kofi tags in. They successfully hit the Midnight Hour on Cesaro for the three count, and The New Day has now earned a Tag Title shot at SummerSlam.
Winners: The New Day
– As The New Day celebrates in the ring, Harper and Rowan are shown standing in the crowd with their Tag Titles and their mallets. The Bludgeon Brothers turn around and walk off as The New Day celebrates and SmackDown goes off the air.