The May 1st edition of WWE SmackDown Live took place at the Bell Center in Montreal, Quebec, and was the go-home show for Sunday’s Backlash PPV.
– This week’s SmackDown broadcast opens up with a look at Braun Strowman tossing Shane McMahon through a table at the Greatest Royal Rumble. We see Paige watching on a monitor backstage, and she says that Shane won’t be here tonight. Paige announces that AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura at Backlash will be a No DQ match, so we will have a clear winner.
– Tom Phillips welcomes us to the Bell Center in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and he’s joined by Corey Graves and Byron Saxton at the broadcast table.
– The Miz comes out first to kick off SmackDown with Miz TV. The Miz starts off by announcing that Daniel Bryan is banned from Miz TV due to last week’s no-show. Miz also sends a warning to Intercontinental Champion Seth Rollins ahead of their match this Sunday, and he rants about how he elevated the IC Title. The Miz gets back to the subject at hand tonight, and introduces his Miz TV guest, U.S. Champion Jeff Hardy.
Jeff comes down to the ring and briefly exchanges words with the Miz. The Miz shows footage of Jeff Hardy coming to SmackDown and interacting with Randy Orton, and then Miz reveals he has another guest tonight. Randy Orton comes down, and The Miz complains that Orton interrupted his introduction. Orton says he and Jeff are cool, but The Miz keeps trying to stir up trouble between the two. Orton warns Miz that no one tells him when to strike, but adds that he will take his U.S. Title back at Backlash. Hardy says Orton can try. Shelton Benjamin comes out to interrupt and he starts talking trash to Orton. Shelton says he is the one who deserves the U.S. Title shot. As Shelton gets in the ring, Orton strikes and goes for the DDT. The Miz interrupts, and Jeff takes Miz into the corner for the Whisper In The Wind. The Miz and Shelton retreat to the floor as Orton and Hardy stand tall in the ring.
– The Miz and Shelton Benjamin vs. Randy Orton and Jeff Hardy: This match was made official during the commercial break. Orton and Shelton start off. Orton and Jeff trade tags now to keep control of Shelton, but Orton misses an RKO and Shelton capitalizes. The Miz tags in now and continues the offense on Orton. Jeff gets the hot tag and unloads on Miz with strikes for a two count. The Miz blocks a Twist of Fate, and Jeff knocks Shelton off the apron in the process. Jeff blocks a Skull Crushing Finale, and then Shelton tags back in. Jeff catches Shelton in the Twist of Fate, and then he goes up top for the Swanton, but Miz grabs his leg. Jeff kicks Miz away, and then Shelton runs up the turnbuckle and knees Jeff in the head, then Jeff gets knocked down.
The Miz takes control of Hardy on the mat now and then plants him with a DDT for a two count. Shelton comes in and Jeff stuns him with a jawbreaker, then Miz quickly tags back in and stops Jeff from tagging in Orton. Miz works over Jeff in the corner and then taunts the crowd. Miz charges at Jeff, but Jeff gets up and clotheslines him down. Orton and Shelton get the tags, and Orton cleans house. Orton slams Shelton down, then throws Miz outside and slams him on the announce table. Orton goes back in and dropkicks Shelton down, then hits a double draping DDT on Shelton and Miz. Orton hits the RKO on Shelton, then tags in Jeff who hits the Swanton on Benjamin for the three count.
Winners: Jeff Hardy & Randy Orton
– After the match, Orton immediately hits the RKO on Hardy. Orton heads to the back as Jeff recovers.
– Renee Young is backstage for an interview with Carmella and The Iconics. Carmella is supposed to be there, but she isn’t. Peyton Royce and Billie Kaye make fun of Renee and Canadians, and then they cut a promo on Asuka and Becky Lynch. They introduce Carmella, and Carmella finally walks in to the interview. She thanks them for the introduction, an dsays she’s excited to team with them tonight, and then to beat Charlotte again on Sunday. Charlotte says that The Iconics and her are an invincible team.
– Still to come: Shinsuke Nakamura demands an apology from WWE Champion AJ Styles.
– Tom Phillips informs us that Daniel Bryan is unable to perform due to not being cleared by doctors out of fear of a chest infection. We see video of Bryan at the Greatest Royal Rumble and his cut open chest from strikes by Roderick Strong.
– The Bar is backstage and they run into The New Day. The New day taunts them about losing the RAW Tag Titles at Greatest Royal Rumble, and The Bar talks some trash to the New Day. Sheamus challenges them to a match, and it looks like we’ll have a singles match between Sheamus and Xavier Woods tonight.
– Rusev and Aiden English are talking backstage about new lyrics for their song, when Lana walks in. The crowd pops big for Lana, who is wearing a Rusev Day t-shirt. Lana says Rusev day is bigger than ever, but something is still holding Rusev back. Rusev wonders what could be holding him back, since he has a holiday in his name every day.
– Big Cass comes out next, and Corey Graves says Cass wasn’t scheduled to come out right now. Cass steps in the ring and gets on the mic. Cass talks about being from New York, and that makes him better than people from other cities. Cass trashes Daniel Bryan, and says he’s too small to be a WWE Superstar, just like all the fans. Cass says his match with Bryan at Backlash won’t be a five-star match, it’ll be a five-second match. Cass says he’ll face Bryan tonight if he’ll come out. This queues the music, and out comes a dwarf dressed as Daniel Bryan, doing the “yes” chant. Cass says Bryan looks taller tonight, and continues cracking jokes. Cass goes to leave, but then he turns around and boots little Daniel Bryan down. Some referees come in the ring and tell Cass to leave, and fans boo as Cass heads to the back.
– Back from commercial break, Renee Young is in the ring for an interview with WWE Champion AJ Styles. AJ comes down to the ring as the Montreal crowd chants his name. She asks AJ about the No DQ stipulation being added to his match with Nakamura on Sunday, and says this is a benefit to Nakamura because he’s a con artist and a cheat. AJ brushes off Nakamura’s demand for an apology, and says he should have left Nakamura in the desert eating sand. AJ calls Nakamura a coward who attacks from behind and below the belt. AJ says he knows how to break rules too, and says we’ll be finding pieces of Nakamura all over the place on Sunday night. Renee asks about Nakamura’s demand for an apology again, and AJ says if he wants one he should come out and get one. Samoa Joe’s music hits and Joe comes out to interrupt.
Samoa Joe comes down and gets the pop from the crowd. Joe talks trash to AJ about losing his focus, and says he needs to focus on Joe coming for him. Joe says after he beats Reigns at Backlash, his sights are set on the WWE Championship. Joe’s music hits, but then Nakamura’s music hits to interrupt. Joe looks behind him on the stage, but no one is there. Nakamura comes out of nowhere into the ring from behind and hits another low-blow on AJ.
Nakamura waits for AJ to get up, then starts taunting AJ. Nakamura hits the Kinshasa on the Champion, and then grabs AJ’s WWE Title and holds it up. Nakamura drops the belt on AJ and walks off.
– Becky Lynch is backstage talking to Asuka about last week’s loss. Asuka tells her to forget it, because tonight they’ll hit back three times harder. Charlotte walks in and says Carmella and The Iconics think they’re invincible, but they’re just annoying and have lost their minds. Flair says she’ll get her Women’s Title back on Sunday, but tonight is all about their six-woman tag match.
– Still to come: Sheamus vs. Xavier Woods
– Sheamus vs. Xavier Woods: Cesaro, Big E and Kofi are all at ringside for this one. The opening bell sounds and Sheamus takes control early on. He drops Woods and beats on him in the corner. Woods ducks a clothesline and kicks out Sheamus’ knee. Woods hits a rolling elbow and a dropkick, and Sheamus falls to the outside. Woods hits a suicide dive on Sheamus, then takes him back in the ring. Cesaro distracts Woods by taunting him with some pancakes, and Sheamus takes advantage with a big knee to Woods. Sheamus pummels on Woods as the fants chant “you look stupid” at him.
Sheamus follows up with an Irish Curse backbreaker, and continues to control the pace of the match. Woods starts firing back with strikes and a leg drop for a two count. They go back and forth until Woods hits a Shining Wizard for another two count. Woods goes up top, but Cesaro distracts him. Big E comes over and brawls with Cesaro on the floor, and the distraction leads to Woods rolling up Sheamus for the three count.
Winner: Xavier Woods
– After the match, The New Day celebrates as Sheamus and Cesaro recover.
– Paige is backstage watching footage of Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville dissing Becky Lynch. The Absolution members walk in and they all hug. They congratulate Paige on being SmackDown GM, and Paige books Mandy vs. Becky for next week. Mandy and Sonya ask Paige for special treatment, but Paige says Absolution is dead. Things get awkward between them and we go to commercial.
– We see a pre-taped promo from Zelina Vega and Andrade “Cien” Almas. Vega says SmackDown will be changing very soon when Almas arrives.
– The broadcast team hypes up this Sunday’s Backlash pay-per-view.
– Asuka, Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch vs. Carmella, Billie Kay and Peyton Royce: The opening bell sounds and Charlotte and Carmella start off. Carmella quickly tags in Royce before things get physical, and Flair tags in Becky. Becky takes Royce down and they go back and forth. Billie hits a cheap shot on Becky from the apron, which Peyton capitalizes on with more strikes. Asuka tags in and taunts Billie before beating on her. Billie slaps Asuka across the face, and Asuka smiles and unloads with a series of strikes. Asuka hits the hip attack, then tags in Flair for the double team. Flair continues the offense until Billie slams her down by the hair, then tags in Carmella. Charlotte blocks a superkick, and takes Carmella down for the Figure Four. Carmella escapes and rolls outside with the Iconics, and Charlotte launches herself outside with a suicide dive on them.
All hell breaks loose now between the competitors as the referee tries to restore order. It comes down to Becky and Carmella in the ring, and Becky drops her. Becky looks for the tag, but Billie and Peyon pull Asuka off the apron, and Carmella stops Becky from tagging in Charlotte. Becky fights off Carmella and tags in Charlotte, who cleans house. Billie distracts Charlotte and Carmella slams Charlotte face-first into the turnbuckle as a result. The Iconics double team Flair now, then Carmella tags in and continues the beat-down on Charlotte.
Charlotte starts fighting back and looks for a Figure Four on Peyton, but Peyton escapes. Asuka tags in and unloads with strikes, then hits a flying kick to the face. Billie and Carmella get involved now, and Asuka knocks them both off the apron with a hip attack. Peyton rolls Asuka up from behind for a two count, then argues with the ref. Charlotte and Billie fight on the floor, while Peyton and Asuka continue to go at it in the ring. Asuka counters a move and locks in the Asuka Lock. Peyton taps out for the finish.
Winners: Asuka, Charlotte & Becky Lynch
– After the match, Carmella sits on the ramp clutching her Women’s champion as the babyfaces stand tall in the ring. Charlotte leaves first and stares down Flair, who says she’s taking the Title on Sunday.