1980 – WWF held their “Showdown at Shea” event at Shea Stadium in Flushing, New York, drawing 36, 295 fans. Here are the results of the show:
– The Hangman defeated Rene Goulet.
– Ivan Putski defeated Johnny Rodz.
– Angel Marvilla defeated Jose Estrada.
– Beverly Slade & Kandy Maloy defeated Fabulous Moolah & Peggy Lee.
– Dominic DeNucci defeated Baron Mikel Scicluna.
– Greg Gagne defeated Rick McGraw.
– Pat Patterson defeated Tor Kamata via DQ.
– WWF Junior Heavyweight Champion Tatsumi Fujinami defeated Chavo Guerrero.
– WWF Martial Arts Champion Antonio Inoki defeated Larry Sharpe via submission.
– Andre the Giant defeated Hulk Hogan.
– Tony Atlas defeated Intercontinental Champion Ken Patera via countout.
– Bob Backlund & Pedro Morales defeated The Samoans (Afa & Sika) to win the WWF World Tag Team Title. However, because Backlund was already the WWF World Heavyweight Champion, he and Morales were forced to vacate the belts.
– Bruno Sammartino defeated Larry Zbyszko in a steel cage match.
1986 – Ric Flair defeats Dusty Rhodes for the NWA World Heavyweight Wrestling Title in St. Louis, Missouri to win the title for the fifth time. Flair pinned Rhodes when Rhodes “passed out from the pain” in a figure four leglock, as the Four Horsemen had attacked Rhodes’ leg the previous night.
1997 – One of the most famous matches in ECW history, the “Born To Be Wired” barbed wire match between ECW World Champion Terry Funk and Sabu took place at the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Actually, this was not to be the original main event for the show. The original card was to see a six-man tag team match with Sabu, Rob Van Dam & Jerry Lawler taking on Tommy Dreamer, The Sandman & Funk. However, due to injuries and a change in plans, the barbed wire match was announced two week’s before the show took place. This brutal, bloody match actually ended early, as Funk and Sabu became so entangled in the barbed wire that Sabu pinned Funk, rather than trying to separate and attempt more spots. The two men had to literally be cut out of the barbed wire after the match. Sabu, who sliced open his bicep on the barbed wire, won the ECW World Title, only to lose it a week later at Hardcore Heaven, ECW’s second PPV.
1997 – WCW held their Road Wild Pay-per-view event in Sturgis, South Dakota at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Here are the results:
– Harlem Heat defeated Buff Bagwell & Scott Norton when Booker pinned Norton after two Harlem sidekicks (and Jacqueline holding Norton’s leg down during the cover).
– Konnan defeated Rey Mysterio, Jr. via submission with the Tequila Sunrise.
– Steve McMichael & Chris Benoit defeated Jeff Jarrett & Dean Malenko in an Elimination match. Jarrett pulled McMichael on top of him to be eliminated first (leaving Malenko along to fight two on one). McMichael pinned Malenko to win the match after a Benoit top rope headbutt and a tombstone piledriver from McMichael.
– WCW Cruiserweight Champion Alex Wright defeated Chris Jericho with a rollup and a handful of trunks.
– Ric Flair defeated Syxx, using the ropes for leverage on the pin.
– Curt Hennig defeated Diamond Dallas Page with a Hennigplex after Ric Flair distracted Page.
– The Giant defeated Randy Savage with a chokeslam.
– Rick & Scott Steiner defeated WCW World Tag Team Champions Scott Hall & Kevin Nash via DQ when Nash pulled referee Nick Patrick out of the ring as Scott was about to pin Hall.
– Hulk Hogan defeated Lex Luger to win the WCW World Heavyweight Title when a fake Sting ran in and hit Luger with a baseball bat.
1999 – The Monday Night Wars raged on as WWF Raw earned a 6.4 rating for a show featuring Kane & X-Pac defeated The Acolytes for the WWF World Tag Team Title, while WCW Nitro pulled in a 3.1 for a show that saw Chris Benoit defeat David Flair for the WCW United States Title.
2001 – The 2001 Brian Pillman Memorial Show was held at the Oak Hills High School in Ohio, drawing over 2,000 fans to raise money for the family of Brian Pillman. Here are the results:
– Nigel McGuinness pinned The Machine.
– Rob Conway & Ron Waterman defeated The Disciples of Synn.
– JR Ryder defeated Richard Pound.
– Chad Collyer defeated Donovan Morgan.
– Cody Hawk & Lance Cade defeated The Island Boys.
– Randy Orton defeated Prototype.
– Damaja & Mike Hard defeated Chet & Dean Jablonski.
– The Hass Brothers defeated Steve Bradley & Rico Constantino.
– Chad Collyer defeated Pepper Parks, Shark Boy, and Matt Stryker in a Four Corners match to win the HWA Cruiserweight Title.
– Nick Dinsmore defeated Race Steele to win the HWA Title.
– Lita defeated Lady Victoria.
– Terry Taylor defeated Bobby Eaton, with Jim Cornette. Ricky Steamboat was the guest referee.
– NWA World Champion Steve Corino defeated David Flair.
– Evan Karagis, with Missy Hyatt, defeated Chris Candido, with Tammy Sytch.
– Mark Henry defeated Hugh Morrus.
– Perry Saturn & Dean Malenko defeated Justin Credible & Raven.
– Matt & Jeff Hardy defeated Edge & Christian and Chris Kanyon & Diamond Dallas Page in a three way match.