A fresh controversy recently came in the way of Vince McMahon.The latest Wall Street Journal story on Vince alleged that he paid at least 4 women over 16 years to cover up sexual misconduct. After the report about additional non-disclosure agreements that were signed to keep women quiet, many are wondering if more people will come out with accusations. Vince reportedly reacted to the allegations. It does not appear any more women signed NDAs. There could be others who didn’t want to burn bridges with WWE who decided against seeking a settlement. It remains to be seen if any will speak out.
The latest Wall Street Journal story on Vince McMahon doesn’t appear to have much of an effect on WWE business and McMahon seems to be not bothered by anything.
Vince McMahon reportedly no selling
Dave Meltzer reported that things were business as usual at WWE Friday Night SmackDown and McMahon was running creative. One person reportedly said that McMahon was no selling everything and that he was “Letting everyone know he’s not blinking.” McMahon also reportedly said something to the effect of “Have fun guys, have a great show” after the production meeting.
Opinions vary depending on the person backstage but, as Meltzer pointed out, nobody can imagine Vince not being there. It was also noted that most people, even people more powerful than Vince, would not have survived the allegations.
The Wall Street Journal recently posted another story on Vince McMahon and this one alleges that McMahon paid $12 million in hush money to four women in the past 16 years to suppress allegations of sexual misconduct and infidelity. This amount is a lot more than was previously known.
The outlet has also reported that the payouts went to women formerly affiliated with WWE and they all signed agreements that prevented them from discussing potential legal claims or their relationships with him.
The story notes that there was a $7.5 million pact with a former wrestler who alleged that McMahon forced her into giving her oral sex and then demoted her and then declined to renew her contract in 2005 after she resisted more sexual encounters.
Meanwhile, it has come to light that WWE ratings are solid and their house show in Sacramento drew over 7,500 fans, according to WrestleTix. That would be the second largest crowd for a house show this year. McMahon owns the majority of the stock and the stockholders don’t have the power to force him out. Furthermore, if the stockholders feel that the company would tank without Vince, that strengthens his position on refusing to step down.