WWE SmackDown/ECW Live Event Results
Miami, Forida – December 18th, 2009
Report by Tim Jelinek, Prowrestling.net
The house was about 75 percent full, not including the whole upper bowl section which was covered up. I will say it was a pretty impressive turn out. The rowd was really into the show the whole night.
1. R-Truth beat Mike Knox. Kind of a slow opening match. It took them a while to get started. Knox hit a couple flying moves which were pretty impressive to see in person. R-Truth got the pin with some weird spinning/twisted punch to the face.
2. The Hart Dynasty defeated Slam Master J and Jimmy Wang Yang. Nothing really memorable about this match (That and Natalya can be quite distracting!), but it seemed like SMJ and JWY pretty much ran the whole match… The Hart Dynasty won, but I don’t remember how. Afterward, Natalya cut a promo about how they are going to beat DX for the titles next week on Smackdown.
3. Mickie James, Maria, and Savannah beat Michelle, Layla, Beth Phoenix. I couldn’t count the amount of mistakes, botches, and errors made in this match on two hands. Mickie James got the pinfall for her team.
4. Vance Archer beat Tommy Dreamer.
5. Drew McIntyre beat John Morrison, Matt Hardy, and Dolph Ziggler in a four-way to retain the Intercontinental Championship. Now this was a good match. Lots of reversals and overall good wrestling. Everyone eventually hit their finishers, except for Morrison. Drew (of course) won his title back with his DDT finisher.
6. Christian beat Zack Ryder. Tiffany came out and was the special guest ring announcer for this match. Pretty short match. Christian hit the Killswitch for the win.
7. Chris Jericho beat Kane. Jericho came out to the ring
and did one of his awesome promos. Tons of heat on him. He called everyone from Miami losers (in only that special way that Jericho can). He read a couple signs and yelled at fans… overall he was awesome in that promo. Kane then came out. Jericho won with the Codebreaker.
8. Rey Mysterio beat CM Punk (w/Luke). CM Punk came out and immediately started walking up and down the ramp yelling and arguing with fans at ringside. He spent at least 5-7 minutes doing this. He cut his typical promo, got tons of heat for mentioning his Slammy for taking out Jeff Hardy. Rey came out and before he could even get into the ring fully, Luke Gallows attacked him. Eventually, the ref banned Luke from ring side, which CM Punk didn’t like. He begged the ref to let him stay (it was actually quite funny to see). Overall, this was probably the best match of the night, tons of finisher reversals, high flying moves, and pretty fast paced. Punk played possum so many times like only he can. After four tries throughout the match, Mysterio finally hit his 619 for the win.
9. Undertaker beat Batista in a No DQ, Falls Count Anywhere match to retain the World Heavyweight Championship. Batista came out to a mixed reaction. Undertaker’s music hit and the place just erupted. Taker took his typical 10 minite stroll to get to the ring. Overall, on paper this match sounds pretty good, though it was one of the slower matches of the night.
I swear they must have spent more than 50 percent of the time lying down in the ring after some move. Only once or twice was an actual weapon used, and they only went outside the ring once or twice. Although there was good amount of high risk moves that kept the crowd in suspense. Batista lost when a chair shot backfired and he was chokeslammed and then tombstoned.
– CM Punk