WWE SmackDown/ECW Live Event Results
San Juan, Puerto Rico – September 4th, 2009
Report by Prowrestling.net, Ferdinand Ocasio
The arena was 2/3 full. Great atmosphere. The show started on time, which is a rare thing on the island. Every kid seem to have a Rey Mysterio mask.
1. Matt Hardy pinned Mike Knox. Great pop for Hardy. Good heat for Knox. Hardy chant to start the match. Lots of stalling and rest holds. Slow match but people ate everything that Hardy did. Hardy won with the Twist of Fate. (**1/2 mainly because of people’s reaction to Hardy)
Eve did the skit were she hands ringside tickets to a family. She asked who was the World Champion.
2. Michelle McCool beat Melina to retain the WWE Women’s Championship. Okay pop for Melina. Zero heat for McCool (too bad). Collar and elbow tie up that led to the outside to start the match. Good action throughout with great moves, although McCool didn’t have any heat. Awesome move by Melina when she used the ropes to elevate herself while McCool was trying a baseball slide dropkick. McCool won with the Style Clash. Great effort by both women. (**)
3. Great Khali defeated Kane by DQ. Good pop for both wrestlers. Slow match that ended by DQ when Kane smacked Kali with a kendo stick. (1/2*)
4. Chris Jericho and Big Show defeated The Hart Dynasty and Cryme Tyme to retain the Unified Tag Titles in a Triple Threat match. Okay heat for Hart Dynasty. Great pop for Crime Tyme. Great heat for JeriShow and a Y2J chant. Jericho took the house mic and spoke Spanish. He told people not to call him Christina, which, of course, started a Christina chant. Huge heat. Jericho had the entire audience in the palm of his hand. That’s why he is the best in the world. Huge “pato” chat for Jericho (which means gay). He got showered with it every time he entered the ring. Everyone played their part well. The end came when Big Show hit a Knockout punch to Shad when he was distracted and made the pin to retain the belts. (** 3/4)
ECW’s general manager, Tiffany, came out to announce the ECW championship match.
5. Christian defeated William Regal, Tommy Dreamer, and Shelton Benjamin in a four-way match to retain the ECW Title. A small pop for Regal, Dreamer, and Benjamin. Great pop for Christian. A good match that ended when Christian hit the Killswitch on Regal after everyone hit their finishers. (** 3/4)
6. John Morrison defeated Dolph Ziggler to retain the Intercontinental Championship. No heat for Zigler (people were still coming in from intermission). Great pop for Morrison. Good mat wrestling exchanges to start. Zigler’s heat grew as the match progressed. Morrison won with the Starship Pain. (** 3/4)
7. Primo Colon defeated Carlito. Biggest pop of the night for Carlito, followed by a huge pop for Primo. The hometown boys saluted before the match. Huge pop for Primo for putting Carlito on the figure four (it was their father’s finishing move). Good heat for Carlito for doing the same move. The finish came when Primo escaped and put Carlito again in the figure four for the submission. (***) Good for Carlito to put over his little brother in front of the family and a really great match.
I have to say that the first time that Raw came to the island, Carlito did a Carlito’s Cabana segment that drew a much bigger heat than this.
8. Undertaker and Triple H defeated C.M. Punk, Cody Rhodes, and Ted DiBiase in a handicap match. Biggest heat of the night for CM Punk. Legacy got a nice reaction too. Biggest pop for Undertaker, followed very closely by Triple H. Incredible. The faces got njce chants to start the match. Undertaker hit the Tombstone on Punk to end a great back and forth match that saw a lot of triple teaming from the heels on Triple H. (*** 1/2)
The match sent everyone home happy. Great show.
2. Triple H (very close second)
3. Carlito and Primo Colon
4. Matt Hardy
1. CM Punk
4. Dolph Zigler