The August 13th, 2019 edition of WWE SmackDown Live took place at the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, ON.
– Kevin Owens comes out to the ring to kick off the show. The Canadian fans chant for Owens, and he gets on the mic and talks about being in WWE for five years now. Owens says he experienced things he never thought he would, and he got to face people he looked up to his entire career. Owens says Shane is not the “best in the world,” but SummerSlam will still go down as a night he will remember forever. Owens adds that his entire family was sitting ringside at SummerSlam. Owens moves on to the subject of the King Of The Ring tournament next week, and he says winning that would mean just as much as winning any Title. Owens runs down a list of former King Of The Ring winners, including Steve Austin, Bret Hart, Owen Hart and others. Shane McMahon comes out to interrupt. Shane says this must be a nice little moment for Kevin, enjoying his tainted victory over Shane. Shane says he’s here for a couple of reasons. One reason, is he wants to remind everyone Owens’ victory is tainted by him low-blowing Shane with a kick during their match, behind the ref’s back. The crowd chants “you deserved it” at Shane. Owens says he’s not going to be lectured about being a man by someone who used to be in something called the Mean Street Posse. Shane calls Kevin a low-life who will always be known as a cheater. Shane says he wants to beat up Kevin right now, but he’s going to restrain himself and not soil his hands. Shane says Kevin will be in competition tonight, and he’ll find out who his opponent is later. Shane says the other reason why he’s here, is because of Owen’s vicious attack on Elias with a steel chair. Shane says Elias was so traumatized that he gave him the night off, and the 24/7 Title is suspended for tonight. Shane says Elias was wearing a referee jersey during the assault, and they have to protect their officials. Shane says you can never ever attack a company official, and he has to make sure they are safe. Shane has been thinking a lot about this, and he’s going to have to put some heavy things on Kevin right now. Shane is fining Kevin $100,000 in U.S. dollars. Owens is not happy, and tells Shane to reconsider because he knows this is crap. Shane thinks about it, then says “nope,” and heads to the back.
— WWE (@WWE) August 14, 2019
– Back from the break, we see Kevin Owens backstage. Owens barges in to Shane’s locker room and gets in Shane’s face. Shane says he’s not here as a competitor, and if Owens hits him he’ll sue Owens. Owens throws a stool into a TV and leaves.
– Ember Moon vs. Charlotte: Charlotte starts off strong with strikes against Moon. Moon comes back with a flying headscissors and a dropkick. Charlotte rolls outside for a breather. They fight on the apron now, and Ember knocks Charlotte outside to the floor. Ember follows up with a flying cross body off the top turnbuckle down on to Charlotte on the ringside floor. Charlotte comes back with a shot on the apron, and then back in the ring Charlotte starts working over Ember’s knee. Ember fights back with a flurry of strikes on Charlotte, and a running big boot for a two count. Moon hits a version of the Codebreaker for another two count. Charlotte ducks a shot and fires back with a big boot to Ember’s face. Charlotte follows up with the Figure Four for the win via submission.
– Daniel Bryan and Rowan are shown walking through the arena hallways.
– We go to a video package looking at the mysterious attacks on Roman Reigns in recent weeks.
– Daniel Bryan and Rowan come out to the stage with a microphone. Bryan says they had nothing to do with the attacks on Reigns, and he says Buddy Murphy is a liar. Bryan says Murphy caved and lied when Reigns had him against the wall, just like all the fans in attendance would have. Bryan says he and Rowan have nothing to do with those incidents, and tonight they are going to prove it.
— WWE (@WWE) August 14, 2019
– We go back to Shane McMahon’s locker room for an interview. Samoa Joe walks in and indicates that he wants the match against Owens tonight. Shane says Joe is going to teach Owens a lesson tonight, and Owens will finally learn to respect the rules.
– Roman Reigns is shown backstage walking to the Gorilla position.
– We see a pre-taped promo from Aleister Black, who is once again asking challengers to come to his door and knock.
– Roman Reigns vs. Buddy Murphy: Buddy is able to mount some offense on Reigns in the opening moments of this one, and he nails the Big Dog with a running knee to the face. The fight spills out to ringside, and Reigns throws Murphy on top of the announce table. Back in the ring, Murphy misses a shot in the corner and Reigns powerbombs him for a two count. Reigns lays into Murphy with a flurry strikes now. Reigns looks for a Superman punch, but Murphy ducks. Reigns then misses a spear in the corner, and Murphy rolls up Reigns for a two count. Reigns misses a clothesline and Murphy dumps him out to ringside. Murphy runs the ropes and follows up with a suicide dive Swanton Bomb on Reigns at ringside. Back in the ring, Murphy hits a flying knee strike off the top for a two count. Reigns and Murphy trade strikes in the middle of the ring now, and then Reigns drops him with the Superman punch. Reigns pins for a two count. Reigns misses a spear, and Murphy nails Reigns with several knees to the face. Murphy follows up with a brainbuster for a two count. Murphy climbs the turnbuckle, but Reigns uppercuts him and Murphy falls down to the ringside floor. Reigns follows him out to ringside, and Reigns connects with a Superman punch off the ring steps. Back in the ring, Reigns hits the spear for the three count.
Winner: Roman Reigns
— TDE Wrestling (@tde_wrestling) August 14, 2019
– The Revival is backstage for an interview. Dawson and Wilder say they deserve another shot at The New Day because of the 24/7 Title related interruption to their match on RAW. They blame The New Day for ruining the tag team division.
– The New Day is backstage for an interview. They make run of The Revival’s interview, and say they may have ruined a lot of things in their lives, but they did not ruin the Tag Team division. Kofi also talks about his beat-down on Randy Orton at SummerSlam.
– Samoa Joe vs. Kevin Owens: Elias comes out to the ring, and he will serve as the special enforcer for this match, despite Shane giving him the night off. Owens and Joe trade strikes evenly in the opening moments of this one. The fight spills out to ringside, and a distraction from Elias leads to Joe dropping Owens on the apron. Back in the ring, Owens and Joe trade chops and punches. Owens connects with a missile dropkick off the middle rope, and he follows up with a running senton on Joe for a two count. Owens looks for a splash in the corner, but Joe catches him and slams him down for a two count. They fight up the turnbuckle, and Owens knocks Joe down, then follows up with a Swanton Bomb for a two count. Owens looks for the Stunner, but Joe escapes and looks for the Coquina Clutch. Owens escapes and hits the Pop Up Powerbomb on Joe. Owens pins, but the ref gets yanked out of the ring by Elias. Elias slides in the ring and gets in Owens’ face. Joe rolls up Owens from behind, and Elias counts a super-fast three count.
Winner: Samoa Joe
– Elias and Joe run up the ramp after the match. Owens does not look happy at ringside, and then he starts marching up the ramp.
– Daniel Bryan and Rowan walk into a locker room and tell everyone to get out except Buddy Murphy. Bryan and Rowan sit down right in front of Murphy. Bryan repeats over and over to Murphy that he needs Murphy to admit to everyone that he lied. Murphy doesn’t respond, so Rowan starts beating him down. Rowan chokes Murphy up against the wall, and Bryan yells at him again to admit he lied. Murphy says “okay I lied.” Bryan says he hates liars, and Rowan throws Murphy across the room again.
— WWE (@WWE) August 14, 2019
– Roman Reigns is briefly shown backstage looking for Daniel Bryan and Rowan.
– We see a video package looking at the King Of The Ring tournament returning next week on RAW.
– Kofi Kingston comes out to the ring with Xavier Woods and Big E for their tag match against The Revival. Randy Orton comes out before the match with a microphone. Orton calls out Kofi and says Kofi ran away from a fair fight with him at SummerSlam. Orton trashes Kofi and says Kofi can’t beat him. Orton wants to join the upcoming tag match, along with Kofi, making it a six-man tag.
– The New Day vs. The Revival & Randy Orton: It looks like Orton and Kofi will start off, but Orton tags out before they engage. Dawson comes in and Kofi drops him, then Big E tags in for the double team. Woods tags in for another double team on Dawson. Woods misses a shot and Dawson fights back, then tags in Wilder. Woods hits a headscissor takedown on Wilder, and then a dropkick. Dawson tags back in and drops Woods, then he starts working over Woods’ shoulder. Wilder tags back in to continue the offense, but Woods stuns him with a rolling elbow to the face. Dawson is able to tag in and he brawls with Woods. Orton tags himself in, as Dawson dumps Woods out to ringside. Orton hops outside and hits a back suplex on Woods on top of the announce table. Back in the ring, Dawson tags back in and works over Woods on the mat. Woods finally gets the hot tag to Big E, and Wilder tags in too. Big E cleans house and hits a series of suplexes on Wilder. Big E hits the running splash on Wilder. Big E looks for the Big Ending, but Dawson comes in and The Revival gives Big E a double DDT. Kofi gets the tag and starts cleaning house. Kofi hits a suicide dive out to ringside on Randy Orton. Back in the ring, Woods starts fighting off The Revival members with punches and chops. Dawson tags in and they double team Woods with the Shatter Machine. Dawson covers for the three count.
Winners: The Revival & Randy Orton
— WWE (@WWE) August 14, 2019
– After the bell, Dash and Dawson hit the ring and start beating down Woods and Big E. Kofi runs in the ring for the save and drops both Revival members. Orton runs in the ring now and his the RKO on Kofi. Orton picks up Woods next and hits the RKO on him too. Orton hits the RKO on Big E next. Orton picks up Kofi by the head and gives him another RKO.
– Roman Reigns enters Daniel Bryan and Rowan’s locker room backstage. Bryan tells Reigns to apologize to them. Bryan tells Reigns they’ve been conducting their own investigation, and they found who did it. Bryan says they’ll bring Reigns the truth next week, and then SmackDown goes off the air.