Strikeforce is both staying alive and remaining on Showtime.
The promotion, which UFC parent company Zuffa purchased earlier this year, once appeared on its way to the scrap heap of failed MMA promotions.
But with the current broadcast deal set to expire in February, talks between UFC officials and the premium-cable-station representatives proved fruitful, and UFC president Dana White now expects to announce details of a new deal very soon.
“It’s staying, and hopefully I’ll have all the information for you next week,” today said White, who said they could come as soon as Monday.
Strikeforce, a former kickboxing promotion that got into the MMA game in 2006, quickly produced some of the sport’s biggest fight cards in its former home base on San Jose, Calif. It signed its deal with Strikeforce in 2009. But especially after the Zuffa purchase – which later saw Strikeforce champions Nick Diaz, Dan Henderson and Alistair Overeem moved to the UFC – the organization appeared to be on life support. For now, though, it appears to have gotten a reprieve.
|Hulk Hogan Publicly Tweets His Phone Number, First ECW Unreleased Volume 3 Trailer, New Network Content|
The Hottest WWE news, photos and videos delivered to your inbox in one convenient newsletter. Sign up now and give it a try!
|5||Steve Austin Discusses John Cena's Stunner Move, Vince McMahon Pays Tribute to The Ultimate Warrior|
|5||WWE Pulls Daniel Bryan from Current Tour|
|5||Taz Officially Gone from TNA, Comments from John Gaburick|
|5||Reason Why Daniel Bryan Was Removed from European Tour|
|4||Video of Fans Rushing the Ring at WWE SmackDown, Roman Reigns Appears After the Tapings|