The August 27th, 2019 edition of WWE SmackDown Live took place at the Raising Cane’s River Center in Baton Rouge, LA.
– This week’s broadcast opens up with a video package looking at the mystery attacks on Roman Reigns, and his pursuit for the truth about the attacker.
– We cut to the arena, and Roman Reigns is backstage for an interview. Reigns says he’s got something to say to Daniel Bryan and Rowan tonight, but it’ll be better said in the ring.
– WWE Champion Kofi Kingston comes out to the ring to kick off the show. Kofi gets on the mic and starts cutting a promo on Randy Orton. Kofi points out that he knocks Orton’s ass out last week, out of nowhere. He says Orton took things to another level, and made things personal by bringing Kofi’s family into it, and purposely trying to injure Xavier Woods. Orton interrupts from the big screen, and says over and over again that Kofi is stupid. Orton says there’s nothing he’d rather do than come to ring and show the world how stupid Kofi is, but he’s going to watch for his Title shot at Clash Of Champions. Orton says someone slid a letter under his hotel door, and he doesn’t usually read fan mail, but this letter was touching. Orton wants to share the letter with the world, and he’s going to share it with us. Orton reads a letter from a fan saying that Orton is a mean man who makes Kofi cry at night, and the fan knows this because it’s apparently from Kofi’s son. Orton says he’s staying in the same hotel as Kofi’s family, so instead of writing back to Kofi’s son, maybe he’ll go pay him a visit right now. Orton walks off. Kofi looks concerned, and he exits the ring and runs to the back.
The camera cuts backstage and we see Kofi and Orton brawling at the Gorilla position. Referees and agents try to break it up. They fight back and forth, and they get on to a table. Orton ends up pulling Kofi halfway-off the table, and giving him the draping DDT on to the concrete floor. Orton finally leaves as WWE employees check on Kofi.
— WWE (@WWE) August 28, 2019
– Big E comes out of the trainer’s office after checking on Kofi. Big E does a brief interview and says he doesn’t know if Orton will be making it to Clash Of Champions after Big E is through with him tonight.
– We see a video package looking at all of the King Of The Ring tournament matches thus far. Ali vs. Murphy, and Gable vs. Benjamin both take place tonight as part of the tournament.
– Ali vs. Buddy Murphy: Ali hits the first offensive maneuver of the match with a headscissor takedown, sending Murphy out to ringside. Back in the ring, Murphy connects with a dropkick on Ali. Ali fights back with a dropkick of his own, and Murphy rolls outside. Ali follows up with a suicide dive. Elias is shown backstage watching on a monitor, as he will face the winner of this match next week. Back in the ring, Murphy dumps Ali out to ringside now, and hits a suicide dive of his own. Back in the ring, Murphy goes to the top rope but misses. Ali hits a superkick, and follows up with a reverse hurricanrana for a two count. Ali goes up top, but Murphy stops him and superkicks him. Murphy follows up with a powerbomb for a two count. Murphy hits a knee to the face, and then a brainbuster, for another two count. Ali and Murphy fight near the ropes and Ali hits a big DDT. Ali follows up with a 054 splash off the top for the three count.
— WWE (@WWE) August 28, 2019
– Ali advances in the King Of The Ring tournament and will face Elias next week. Ali and Murphy shake hands after the match.
– Still to come: Daniel Bryan and Rowan demand an apology from Roman Reigns
– We see SmackDown Women’s Champion Bayley backstage in her locker room. Ember Moon walks in, and she gives Bayley a pep talk saying that she is the real face of the Women’s Division, not Charlotte. Lacey Evans interrupts and says she is the real face of the Division, and she will prove it tonight.
– The Miz comes out to the ring and gets on the mic. The crowd gives him a “Miz is awesome” chant. The Miz takes issue with Sami Zayn becoming Shinsuke Nakamura’s spokesperson, and says Sami couldn’t get the job done in the ring another so he changed his job title. Miz says he made the Intercontinental Title the most prestigious Title in WWE, and he can do it again. Miz officially challenges Shinsuke Nakamura for the Intercontinental Championship at Clash Of Champions. Sami Zayn comes out to the stage to interrupt. Sami says he liberated Shinsuke, and because of him Shinsuke now feels better than he has in years. Sami tells Miz that the IC Championship isn’t his anymore, and Nakamura is now your champion. They exchange words until Miz decides he wants to kick Sami’s ass at ringside. Miz exits the ring and heads towards Sami, but then Shinsuke comes out of nowhere and attacks Miz from behind. Nakamura beats down Miz all over ringside and hits the Kinshasa on him. Nakamura brings Miz in the ring as Sami cheers him on. Nakamura hits another Kinshasa on Miz.
— WWE (@WWE) August 28, 2019
– Kevin Owens enters Shane McMahon’s office backstage, but he finds Elias instead of Shane. Elias says Shane isn’t here, and after briefly exchanging words, Owens says thanks and walks off.
– Bayley vs. Lacey Evans: Bayley controls the opening moments of this one. The fight spills out to ringside and Bayley beats down Lacey on the floor. Back on the ring apron, Lacey slams Bayley into the ring post to turn things around. Lacey puts the boots to Bayley on the mat, then chokes her in the corner. Charlotte comes out to ringside for a closer look at this one. Lacey hits a splash in the corner for a two count. Bayley tries to fight back, but Lacey drops her again and starts working over Bayley’s shoulder. Bayley finally fights back with a series of kicks and two clotheslines. Bayley hits a running knee strike in the corner, and then she puts Lacey in a version of the Sharpshooter. Lacey grabs the bottom rope to break the hold. Bayley hits a neckbreaker on Lacey, but then she briefly gets distracted by Charlotte. Lacey slams Bayley down and continues working over the left arm of Bayley. Lacey comes off the top rope with a moonsault for a two count. They fight out to ringside again, and Bayley hits a vertical suplex on the floor. Back in the ring, they trade pin attempts until Bayley connects with a knee to Lacey’s face. Bayley follows up with the belly to belly suplex, but Lacey gets her hand on the bottom rope to break the pin. Lacey comes back with a neckbreaker. Lacey misses a shot and Bayley hits a knee drop. Bayley goes to the top rope and hits the flying elbow drop for the three count.
— WWE (@WWE) August 28, 2019
– Daniel Bryan and Rowan do a brief interview backstage, where Bryan complains about not having an apology from Reigns yet.
– Randy Orton vs. Big E: Big E immediately takes the fight to Orton right off the opening bell. They fight out to ringside, where Big E slams Orton into the ring steps, and then throws him over the announce table. Orton pokes Big E in the eyes, but Big E still overpowers him and throws Orton into the fan barricade. Back in the ring, Big E puts Orton in the abdominal stretch and spanks him. Big E sends Orton off the ropes and then drops him with a back elbow for a two count. Orton finally starts fighting back, but Big E drops him again with a running shoulder tackle. Big E follows up with a clothesline, and then Orton rolls out to the apron. Big E looks for a running splash on the apron, but Orton rolls out of the way and Big E crashes down. Orton picks up Big E at ringside and suplexes him on top of the announce table. Big E fights back and hits Orton with a suplex of his own on to the announce table. Back in the ring, Orton hits Big E with a dropkick. Big E fights back with a series of belly to belly overhead suplexes. The Revival comes out and gets involved, hitting a cheap shot on Big E behind the ref’s back. This leads to Orton hitting the RKO for the three count.
Winner: Randy Orton
– After the match, The Revival gets in the ring and beats down Big E. They lift up Big E and Orton hits the RKO on him.
– Chad Gable is backstage for an interview. Gable says Shelton’s jokes haven’t gotten to him, and Shelton of all people should know not to underestimate Gable. Shelton interrupts and says he’s looking for Chad “Shorty” Gable. They come face to face, then Shelton walks off.
– 24/7 Champion Elias is shown walking backstage.
– We see some highlights from WWE stars at FOX Sports’ Founders Day celebration.
– Elias comes out to the stage and its in the King Of The Ring chair, and cuts a promo about his intentions to win the tournament. Elias calls the people of Louisiana “filthy swamp people.” Kevin Owens comes out to interrupt and attacks Elias from behind. They fight all the way down to the ring, and Owens hits the Stone Cold Stunner on Elias in the ring. Owens leaves without trying to pin Elias for his 24/7 Title. R-Truth then sneaks into the ring with a referee and pins Elias for a two count. Drake Maverick breaks it up and drops Truth at ringside. Maverick then hops on Elias and pins him for the three count, to win the 24/7 Title. Drake celebrates with the belt and runs away.
— WWE (@WWE) August 28, 2019
– We see Chad Gable backstage warming up for his match tonight.
– Chad Gable vs. Shelton Benjamin: This one is a King Of The Ring tournament match. Shelton starts off strong with some suplexes on Gable. Gable fights back with a double leg takedown and a series of shots to the face. Shelton comes back with a hard Irish whip into the corner. Andrade and Zelina Vega are shown backstage watching on a monitor, as the winner of this match faces Andrade next week. Shelton talks trash to Gable until Gable nails him with some right hands. They trade strikes until Gable stuns Shelton with a kick and then a swinging neckbreaker. Gable follows up with a German suplex, but Shelton fights back with a clothesline, and both men are down. Shelton puts Gable in the ankle lock, but Gable escapes and dumps Shelton out to ringside. Gable looks for a dive on Shelton at ringside, but Shelton catches him and slams him into the fan barricade. Back in the ring, they fight in the corner, and Gable headbutts Shelton down. Gable misses a shot off the top rope, and Shelton fires back with a knee to the face. Shelton looks for a powerbomb, but Gable reverses it into a pin for the three count.
Winner: Chad Gable
– Gable advances in the King Of The Ring tournament and will face Andrade next week.
– Roman Reigns is shown backstage walking trough the hallways of the arena.
– Roman Reigns comes out to the ring and grabs a mic. Before he can say anything, Daniel Bryan and Rowan interrupt from the big screen. Bryan says it’s simple — two words, just say “I’m sorry.” Reigns asks the fans if they think he should apologize. Reigns says he found a video that they will have to watch first, and Bryan should watch too. We see video footage of Rowan lurking in the background pushing speakers over on top of Reigns. Back in the arena, Daniel Bryan freaks out at Rowan and starts slapping Rowan across the face. Bryan says he hates liars, and keeps yelling at Rowan and slapping him. Bryan grabs a mic and walks all the way to the ring, saying that Rowan has lied to him and someone else must have told Rowan to do that. Bryan steps in the ring and tries to explain to Reigns, but Reigns isn’t trying to hear it, and he spears Bryan down in the ring. Reigns heads to the back as SmackDown goes off the air.
— TDE Wrestling (@tde_wrestling) August 28, 2019